Thread: Framerate drops
View Single Post
12-11-11, 02:38 PM   #5
Ënmity
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Coasty View Post
I don't know if that's directly related to your problem, but it might be something to look at.
I have a similar issue, but it only happens when I turn the camera. I've been trying to trace the actual cause of both that and the intermittent framerate drops, but I've also been busy with other things, so I haven't gotten much done. I suppose the carbonite maintainers will eventually find and fix the issues (or maybe not seeing as they've existed for a while), but I'd really like to help. I'm just not skilled enough in Lua debugging, and learning has been a difficult task with the lack of documentation and tools.

Again, the complex way Carbonite runs is proving difficult to decipher as well. So far, I've figured out that it seems to dump its functions into a loader which slowly posts them to memory, then activate them in "blocks" for each component that needs activation. Most mods tend to write all their functions to memory within a single frame (the first one, which is probably one of the steps that takes place when WoW is on the loading screen), then throttle them to prevent lag. But as far as I can tell, the only meaningful time throttle in Carbonite is the one posting the functions into memory.

It could be that the original code distributed calculations across several frames (a more eloquent and efficient, but difficult to implement solution), but over time it's become more CPU-intensive without adding any additional throttling. Something like that can easily happen when a mod changes developers, since they won't necessarily know the steps taken to improve resource usage. One might assume that a lack of obvious throttling means the program doesn't need any, which really isn't the case.

Last edited by Ënmity : 12-11-11 at 02:59 PM.