Thread: Memory usage
View Single Post
03-18-09, 12:45 PM   #5
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
To some extent, that's true.

nUI does a *lot* of work, especially when you're in combat in a raid... this produces garbage which causes the total memory usage to slowly climb until the garbage collector fires at which time the memory usage will drop back down to reflect what nUI currently has in use.

This was never an issue until the WoW 3.0 patch when, for some reason, that garbage collection process (a normal part of the Lua engine that I have *no* control over) started causing hiccups in the game. Bliz changed something in 3.0 which is causing this problem and it is, quite frankly, a bug.

The key to understanding this is that it affects all mods and even affects the game with NO mods installed at all. There are thousands and thousands of posts on the WoW forums about this problem. It's also worth noting that the severity of the problem is closely tied to your system's abilities, speed, available memory, etc.

Unfortunately, there's very little I can do about it. I do keep working to try and reduce how much garbage nUI creates in order to reduce the impact of this bug, but that's about all I can do.

I haven't taken the time to track it yet, but it would be interesting to see if there's any improvement in this problem on the PTR.
Just checked on the PTR. It's still doing it but it's not climbing all the way up to 16mb. It's goes to about 13 and then restarts.

Not too sure that it has much to do with your system though. I had the same numbers on my old system as I do on my new one.

Old specs:
1.8ghz dual core
2mb of ram
8800 GT 512mb
500w PSU
Win XP SP3

New specs:
3ghz dual core
4mb of ram
4870 1gb GDDR5
650w PSU
Started on Win XP, beta tester for Win 7, and now toying with Vista SP2.