View Single Post
11-03-09, 04:12 PM   #65
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Republic View Post
Since the dawn of man, guys have been distracted by pretty girls walking down the street. What happens when a turn of the head to check out her shorts equals plowing into oncoming traffic in the next lane? How is this distraction enforced? I'm not really asking you as it were, I'm just posting more questions for the "law-happy" posters in this thread.

I mean, we want to protect all life, right? And of course we want to remove/prevent all distractions, right? Who decides which distractions are dangerous enough to legislate against? How are they enforced? Think about it. For as many reasons as people as justifying "against" texting, there are as many other equally dangerous (and potentially more so) actions that might cause as many accidents on the road. Are we only concerned about a few? Hmmm.
I say we pass laws to enforce a dress code for women. Pass a law to stop rubber necking other accidents, new construction in a neighborhood, and high speed chases are distracting to me, so outlaw that too. Also, really awesome looking vehicles should be outlawed, I mean who doesn't do a double-take when they see a (insert your favorite vehicle here)? Billboards... distracting... you name it and it could be argued as distracting to someone, and just where does it stop? Yeah, it sounds ridiculous, but laws beget more laws, and the cycle never ends. You have to stop the cycle somewhere. Some things sound like a really good idea, but when it spawns ideas that are not so good, and begin to effect you directly; that's when you start to realize it might not have been a great idea to support the original.

I would name examples of laws and treaties that spawned something our gov't (and citizens) regretted afterward, but it's specific to USA and other nationalities might be offended. I'm sure every nationality reading this thread can give an example relative to their nation.