View Single Post
09-12-12, 06:02 AM   #55
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by mynex View Post
Yes, WoW's Lua is sandboxed, however, calls to client side are easily enough done to a DB, and no, you don't need an SQL server to access information in a DB.

The sharing of info (Quest/Item/etc ID's) can be set up to be done outside of WoW, there's plenty of examples of this already (Gatherer, Gathermate, and the like).

This is not too complicated, but does take some finesse.

Mynex
Ok, then please explain: How would an AddOn access an SQL database? Gatherer and Gathermate do not use one - I can't even conceive of how you think this is the case; it is simply not possible.

AddOns use SavedVariables (which are global variables within WoW's Lua environment) that are read from disk when the UI loads and saved to disk when the UI is unloaded. All of this is done on a per-file-per-AddOn basis in WTF/Account/<account name>/SavedVariables/ and/or WTF/Account/<server name>/<character name>/SavedVariables/. Each file contains one or more Lua tables or strings or numbers.

Edit: Just to clarify, I've been writing AddOns for nearly five years now. I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.