Thread: Maps Only
View Single Post
09-29-16, 09:29 AM   #1
dvantassel11
A Cyclonian
Maps Only

I have used Carbonite for many years including when it had a monthly fee. I truly appreciated the hard work that everyone does and especially the work Rythal did to keep it going. I wish him the best and THANK YOU!
I know that Carb has been broken out into modules but there certainly are still things in Carb Maps that the other modules need and are possibly not needed in the Maps module itself. Additionally, there are many features in the Maps module that may be considered overkill for a simple map addon (routing, skins, tracking, transparency, gathering etc.). The main reason I love Carbonite and I'm sure many feel the same is the Maps. To have a moveable, sizable, zoomable map that remains onscreen is priceless to me. I do not ever use it embedded with the Blizz minimap so I essential have an extra little square map on the bottom right of my screen that sits there and is always open, minimap2 I guess. The thing is, unlike the Blizz minimap, the Carb minimap is moveable, sizeable, zoomable as I mentioned above. I realize the Blizz minimap can be zoomed in and out but certainly not to the extent that the Carb map can. I have tried many other map addons, some make the map sizable, zoomable etc but unfortunately they all inherit the Blizz maps behavior, specifically they all close when you do anything (interact with an npc, access the quest log, go into combat etc.) and don’t necessarily remember their size, zoom level and position on the screen. So here is my question:
With what is known by the Carb developers/maintainers is it possible to have a very simple map addon that is separate from the Blizz Map/Minimap that is moveable, sizable, zoomable (mouse wheel support is great) and also always remains open? This could be a very stripped down version of the existing Carb Maps or a completely new barebones addon with the above features?
I would love this and also would help any way I could including donations if that would help.