View Single Post
03-24-08, 03:46 PM   #11
Tsurani
A Black Drake

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Talking

Originally Posted by Republic View Post
Virii has been nerdspeak for a long time. As I am also an older player who has been in the IT profession for a number of years, I have personally heard many of my own nerds use this term. That is why it is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. The way I see it, nerds use it to try to sound "technically superior" to the common person. While this may not be the case in your situation, the irony of this scenario is there is no such word as VIRII with regard to viruses as you have spoken about here (computer infections named after real infections). Thus, it is highly ignorant in my estimation and defeats the user's original purpose in choosing the word - to sound technically superior. To me, it DOESN'T accomplish this at all. It makes the person sound like a moron. In fact, it's the worst kind of moron - one who thinks they are technically elite.

2 minutes, 2 years, or 20 years usage still does not make it accurate. The word is VIRUSES.
I will use words that I want to and who are you to try to stop me?

If you think me as a moron for using old school jargon then so be it. That is your opinion. But on the flip side I hate grammarians "The Soup Nazi of copy editors and proofreaders," that have nothing better to do with their pathetic life than correct another person’s spelling in a forum or game (virtual world).

Sure in everyday business I use proper grammar and I cross my T’s and dot my I’s but in a virtual forum I don’t see a need for it. If the person I am talking to understands the words on the screen then it is all good.

Barry Leiba, a technical researcher at IBM and author of the delightful blog "Staring At Empty Pages," said
there are "exactly four" situations where it's all right to correct someone's grammar: (1) when you're an English teacher correcting a student, (2) when you're coaching a nonnative speaker who's asked for help, (3) when someone else has asked for coaching, or (4) when someone puts the equivalent of a "kick me" sign on her back.
Last, I checked I graduated a CSU with a Masters back in the early 90’s. However, if you want to turn this into a battle of wits or a debate let us take it to the OT forums not the Mod discussion forum.