View Single Post
10-10-08, 04:53 AM   #33
Arabeth
A Black Drake

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Originally Posted by Meldas View Post
Sure I accept the rights of you as an author (I'm a professional programmer myself - I know what I'm talking about). However, I also know that as soon as I put something as 'free to use' into the internet I'm also loosing the control over this.
That a piece of software is 'free to use' does not mean that the person using it for free has the right to its distribution, moreover if they do not attribute it to the original author and even worse, as has happened, they imply that it was them who wrote it!

WoWMatrix's 'business model' is not particularly robust. If the sites it relies on to supply the addons themselves rely on ad revenue to survive and WoWMatrix is essentially taking that revenue away from them, then those sites may (will) fold. If they all do that, WoWMatrix folds as it has nowhere to source its addons. And of course Meldas (for example) will have stopped using the ones that have only one source, which having folded ... you catch my drift.

As an addon user (never having written one) Tristanian still has my support (whether you need it or not) because I understand the effort that goes into producing the addons I use and appreciate it. And I do that because I am also a professional programmer!!