View Single Post
10-10-08, 02:04 PM   #37
Vyper
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Reading this discussion I notice a disturbing trend.
Proponents of WoWMatrix seem to feel they have a right to convenient updates. You do not. You have no right to my or any other authors work whatsoever. You do however have the privilege of using that work. Does this mean that I or any other author doesn't care how you feel or what you want? Certainly not. Heck the reason QuestHelper is on this site is because enough people requested it that I decided to keep it up to date here as well. However just because something makes things slightly easier for you does not make it good or even OK.

Now if you want something like this, the correct way of going about it is to let someone know! Start a petition at all the interface sites! Sites already recognize that there is a desire for auto updating addons, which is why the Curse Client exists (as I understand it WoWI has something similar). If enough people are asking for a cross updater, WoWI and Curse will likely decided its profitable to get together and develop one. Heck one of the proponents of WoWMatrix claimed to be a programmer (though he showed a frightening disregard for copyright law). To you I say, if something like this is that important to you, by all means start a site that does it properly! Write your own updater and ask for the authors permission to include their addon. If your going to use someone else's bandwidth (which if done properly is not a bad thing) ask for help in ensuring you don't hurt their revenue. I have dealt with the WoWI devs before and am quite certain that they would be more than helpful to anyone wanting to do something like this properly. Provide links to the original authors page. Don't hide where it comes from.

As I stated before, WoWMatrix redistributing addons without the authors consent is illegal. Period. There is no arguing with that and to do so is foolish. Just because the authors aren't going to sue them (You think I have that kind of money?), and because copyright law does not allow us to do so if they remove the material on request, does not change the fact that it is illegal redistribution of a copyrighted work.