View Single Post
05-04-09, 12:43 PM   #1148
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Incoming Word Wall.

Elesarr and other former WM users/supporters who came to this forum to air their views (and did so in an intelligent way), then read the various posts and realized just what WM was doing (thus "See the Light") to the AddOn communities, then turn around and defend the WoWI community against the trolls earn my respect. We need more of you. Those who wish to be educated should be welcomed here. I hope y'all stick around.

The rest of the uninformed (and whom don't want to be informed) with their sense of entitlement are not worth wasting a perfectly good 2x4. For them its just "me, me, Me, ME!"

My AddOn folder has never been small, currently I run with about 50 AddOns (not including subfolders/LoD configs/etc). I manually updated. I did this prior to the advent of updaters. I have had to crawl SVN repos to find the stuff I wanted. Yet I still manage to get my raiding in, do my guild Officer duties, gank Hordies (in the old Honor system, at one point I was in the top 10% of my server, with a pre awesome Druid no less!) and have time to goof off. I do AddOn support for my guild, build my own custom UIs and have lately started modifying my AddOns with custom code. I have even started a couple of new AddOn projects. And yet, I still manually update. I have tested the Curse Client, it works nicely, however I prefer the control of a manual update. Plus I like having backups of my mods around in case the updates breaks something (something that has happened more than once). Like Honem, I don't have update very many AddOns.

The days of needing to update everyday are gone. The only reason why to update everyday is when Patch 2.4 hit, the new combat log changes went in, and thus Threat (the lib) had to be completely be rewritten. Thus Thread 2.0 was constantly in flux. However those days as I have just said, are long gone. As others have pointed out, the majority of AddOn updates are things like developer tag changes (something end-user have no need to deal with) or localization changes (does an English speaker need to care that a German localization was updated?). Major code changes are rare these days.

If you really want to keep tabs on whether or not a mod is updated, then try Fin's AddOn site's RSS feed. Drop it into your Live Bookmarks or your favorite news reader and you will have updates from Curse (including CurseForge and WoWAce), WoWInterface and WoWUI.Incgamers. Then a couple of clicks later, you can have your updated mod and still support the sites you download from. Try it.

Last edited by Zyonin : 05-04-09 at 12:49 PM.