View Single Post
08-06-14, 12:22 AM   #25
CobraA1
A Cliff Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
But if there's no long-term ramifications, then how will they learn anything?
I dunno about you, but when I was young, I learned not to touch a hot stove in about a fraction of a second , and haven't touched a hot stove since. Long term ramifications aren't the solution to everything.

Problem with Ten Ton Hammer was that they got all tied up in being defensive, rather than taking the time to communicate and learn from their mistakes. Rather than learning what the law states about intellectual property, they got tied up in defending their actions. They also chose to ignore best practices as already established by the addon community, which created a lot of ill will.

Ronburgundyy, I highly recommend stopping by copyright.gov and reading the circular on copyright basics. If you have the time, they've got the entire copyright law there as well.

Do provide authors with a means to update their addons. Authors uploading their addons is considered best practice for addon websites, while scraping addons from other websites is a frowned upon practice.

And oh, Ronburgundy: I've already grabbed the CobraA1 handle for myself at SolidICE, so please ensure that no other handle can claim ownership of Reagent Restocker; if your website does resolve these issues and uploading addons by authors becomes possible, I may consider hosting Reagent Restocker there.

Last edited by CobraA1 : 08-06-14 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Removing question.