View Single Post
05-26-10, 02:47 PM   #25
[email protected]
A Kobold Labourer
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
I liked the idea of being able to communicate "cross game", but the implementation is just poor. I have a simple rule, my RL is private. I leave it behind me, the moment I log in/start a game. The way they implement this feature will make me simply not use it. Besides of my personal opinion, it's also not necessary at all to implement it the way they do. They could EASILY generate some number ID that would keep everything private, but still identifies everyone exactly. I really don't know why they are not doing it like that...
because "Hey its my friend '12345678' doesn't roll of the tongue? an 8-digit id number (to support all the 10 mil+ accounts, possibly even 9 digits as we move to diablo 3 and starcraft 2 being added) doesn't make the Identification of your friends any easier.

Originally Posted by Tithulta View Post
I really like the idea of RealID, but I have issue witht he Friend of Friend bit. I have several guild friends I trust fully with my account if needed. Do i know ALL of their friends? No way. Just because I trust my guild friends as much as my real life friends mean in no way that I trust all their friends too. No one should see any of my info unless I myself have approved them as a friend. We've all had friends of friends whom we would rather throw off a cliff, than share a burger with. Sure the friend of friend part would make connecting with other friends easier, but at the loss of information control. As it is I couldnt even RealID family members that play. I "share" my account with a nephew cause my sister's family can't afford 4 accounts. My nephew(10) alone would make me not want any part of RealID. How many other family's have 1 or 2 accounts shared with siblings?
Note: Account sharing is one of the worst practices for information control and account security. Just an FYI.
That said: Your friends of friends wouldn't know your battle.net address. While I agree that you don't want to share all your information with friends of friends, I can't say the I see any reason why you think the system is telling you anything more then you friend is friend of BLAH, not all your toons, your email, and your home address.
In fact (quote from the Real ID FAQ)
In addition, players who are Real ID friends with that player will be able to see your name in a “friends of friends” list, which allows people to be able to quickly send Real ID friend requests to others they may know.
All they get is a name on a list. And you must agree to someone else adding you, so random people can not just friend you and see what you are doing.

In fact, the service is completely opt-in and your are fully able to later opt-out.

I personally believe that if your raiding guild requires that you RealID friend your guild mates, you should find a new guild. It abuses the purpose of the system. Of course, if you are really concerned about privacy, you wouldn't have to have me tell you this. You'd be busy finding/making a non-RealID guild.

As for concerns about real id with shared accounts, account sharing is a technical TOU violation, and therefore not something blizzard needs to support. If you are concerned, make sure those people 'borrowing' your account know not to use it.

P.S.: Anyone who knows my email knows my battle.net address. Im sure all of you concerned about giving out your battle.net id have a hotmail, gmail, yahoo and 3 other email accounts and can keep track of which is an account for what, but the battle.net user name is by no means secure, as posted above. Password security and optionally an authenticator are what are supposed to keep your account safe. Throwing

Last edited by [email protected] : 05-26-10 at 03:07 PM. Reason: added refrences and clarity