View Single Post
05-19-09, 04:51 PM   #230
isaacquotien
Premium Member
Premium Member
while the response above is definitely a good lesson on piracy......i really dont see how it applies to wowmatrix.

wowmatrix does not equate with pirate nate....because..to do so would equate nick with curse.....or even it it was supposed to be an addon author....the bottom line is that according to the story, they are in the business of making money.

Blizzard has PLAINLY STATED THAT ADDONS TO THE GAME ARE NOT TO PAID FOR....which is why carbonite and others had to cease and desist.

so then we move back to the donation realm, to which i have donated to authors i have wanted to and so have others i am sure. but thats the point.....ITS A DONATION, which means that there is NO EXPECTATION OF PAY IN RETURN FOR DEVELOPMENT OF THE SOFTWARE.

So my question is how can there be piracy of something that has been determined by the DEVELOPER of the original content to be FREE.

now in terms of bandwidth....this appears to be something that is claimed as being stolen.....where as the truth of the matter is that the websites by their structure allowed for automated downloading...they just want you to use THEIR downloading tool....curse tried that for awhile and in the competitive market they FAILED...their updater sucked.....so (in my opinion) they resorted to killing the competition. the real crux is that the websites like this wonderful site rely on donations and advertising to pay the fee that THEY ENCURE in DECIDING to HOST the addons that they do.

all wowmatrix did in terms of bandwidth was go get the addons that i would have to do manually....thats the ONLY bandwidth issue.....but....because wowmatrix went and got them for me....remember....I AM DIRECTING wowmatrix to get them for me (and only me)....I am not directing wowmatrix to go and them for my entire guild or anything like that.....then...the problem comes down to the fact that i didnt have to go to the website and and therefore the "number hits" on the website goes down....which impacts the revenue generation based on advertising....while the bandwidth stays the same.

individual websites are purely within their right to take steps to restrict access in order to limit costs incurred.

In all of these posts, it seems that people want to make one side or the other the bad guys....but thats really not the case in my opinion.

I do think that there could have been better choices made on both sides that probably could have resulted in a collaborative effort that would have been a win-win....but thats just me. My bet is that, as in so many other areas of life, ego's got involved....positions became hardened, and decisions were made in self interest rather than the greater good.

where does that leave us.....well....i use wowmatrix to update the addons that they have available....and i am back to going to wowI to get the addons they have...and curse to get the addons they have....which is what curse and wowI needed in order to generate revenue to continue hosting thier stuff.

I am saddened that there wasn't a way found to work together, as it just makes it harder on me....but...since wowmatrix has an updater that is FREE and WORKS with a simple interface and one click update....i will gladly donate to them in order to increase the number addons they can support and reduce the bandwidth impact of downloads for curse and wowI so that it falls in line with their business model and they can afford the bandwidth they need. I will continue to donate to wowI because its just such a cool site and i enjoy the atmosphere!!! As far as curse goes, i have never really cared for their site and will NEVER click on an add or pay for any service from them and if i can back to a time when i dont have to go their website to get addons that would be wonderful.

Most importantly.....as a consumer, i will let my money speak and donate to the things I CHOOSE to.

I will leave you with one final thought...........i imagine that the best thing in the world is to have your website or addon used by the majority of World of Warcraft users....and the worst thing in the world is to have your website or addon used by the majority of the 13MILLION WOW users.

hehe - I applaud all of you who have to put up with that headache.