View Single Post
07-23-07, 02:20 PM   #35
Arkive
A Cobalt Mageweaver
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Auralei
Well, first, do I want him to stop supporting it? is this a trick question? No, of course I don't. There are PEOPLE who use and depend on his addon. Some of which could never PAY HIM to use it. So what about them??? How bout it Mazzle? What about your users, under 18, who can't pay you money to use your addon anymore? Are you going to say, "Too bad, so sad!"?
It's all about motivation. Is better to let a mod fall off the map because the author lacks the motivation to work on it, or better for them to seek out the motivation they require to continue doing so? I'd choose the latter. And if that option screws over some "kids" then you know what I say to them...go get a job. I've worked since I was 14 until I went to college doing anything from delivering papers to waiting tables. Are they more entitled to a handout then Mazzle is to ask for one?

Originally Posted by Auralei
Copied how? Well, I'm running one that's stripped of everything Mazzle has put into it besides some art and a discord setting. And, well it looks EXACTLY like the original, different HUD, but hey, better IMO. So, copied, as in, someone could easily pirate his UI and offer it free, and, I wouldn't be surprised if that actually happened. But, if he plans to strip it of everything that doesn't rightfully belong to him, well, more power to him? Its just very sad that some of his dedicated followers, some that don't post, and don't rock the boat will be the first casualties of that decision.
So you made a UI that looks like MazzleUI, but has some other mods that are more to your liking? Pretty neat. Does it also coinfigure itself with a few checkboxes and a click of the button? Guessing not. It's obvious you don't see the real value of the compilation or you woudn't even try to compare your one-off version to something that works for all races/classes/resolutions.

Alas, since I started this thread, I'd like to think I reserve the right to close it. Mazzle, or someone else, please let Auralei (or anyone else) get some parting shots in so they won't feel compelled to start another thread to get the last word, which will only lead to another rant session (something I really should have had the foresight to see coming). It seems pretty apparent that I'm not going to get a reasonable response to my question. All I've seen is a bunch of hoo-haing around "money is the root of evil", "real authors do it for free", and "anyone could make this if they wanted to". Not one single response that actually details why users like myself who are willing to pay for the UI should download a "stripped" version of Mazzle that does the exact same thing as the bundled version (once I download the "proprietary" portions manually) is somehow better then just packaging it all together. Someone will no doubt post a free addendum that folks like myself can download that includes all the mods necessary to fill out the MazzleUI, making this entire debocle a pointless exercise anyway.

Last edited by Arkive : 07-23-07 at 02:23 PM.