View Single Post
04-20-16, 06:18 AM   #40
Folji
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Yay, I've done more things!

Painted some custom dragon textures for rare/elite marking, just to make sure they'd feel in line with the rest of the art. Rares and Rare Elites both have a silver spiked wyrm on them, Elites have a golden spiked wyrm, and Bosses get a golden dragon! With wings! Talk about classic, huh? Wings are cool, but they felt too clunky to have on all elite frames (PvE endgame would be wings, wings, wings all over), so keeping them only on bosses felt like a good way to do it. Spikes are dangerous, wings are bad-ass. Of course, it's only on World Bosses and Level -1 units, so that excludes dungeon bosses. Part of me wants to do a clever thing that caches the name or ID of the bosses in the dungeon you're in and gives them a winged dragon to make them look more bossy.

Also starting to get other indicators in, like PvP icons, as seen! I also want to take these kind of frame decor a step further in the future. One ambitious plan was to do art for all kinds of specs, but that's 36 different frames and a lot of them aren't really visually iconic enough to do that. The classes, on the other hand, that's a different story! So at some point, I'm probably going to try and do some kind of portrait flair mirroring the class of the player and player targets.

Also implemented combat flagging and threat glow. The player frame gets a red edge when in combat, and the target frame's edge is threat coloured per GetThreatStatusColor(). Think it looks big enough? Trying to make them visible enough for the viewer to go "oh crap I've got aggro" without going "oh jeez get out of my face".

And more secondary resources! Got combo points in, with anticipation included; yellow dots normally, red dots (with skulls!) for anticipation charges. Going to implement all resources prior to Legion, even the ones getting removed or altered (like Shadow Orbs getting removed, Arcane Charges getting changed...). Then in the future in Legion, I want to do various cool stuff with this element. Like putting in a Combustion bar, for instance, and a Maelstrom bar that glows when it gets nearly full. Just figure out different cool tidbits for different specs, without trying to make it a full-on Aura Watch. It's not really meant to be a buff tracker as much as an integrated heads-up resource display.

And finally here's how buffs/debuffs and castbars look right now. The symmetry of it is kinda nice, anchoring it to the unit frames, but I've been thinking of maybe just making them center-positioned. Make the player's castbar slightly larger and centered just above or just below the main action bar (as suggested before and as people often do), and then put the target's castbar between the unit frames. Then I could use the space just below the unit frame for buffs and make debuffs a larger display on the right of the frame. Thoughts?