View Single Post
06-10-09, 03:55 AM   #1
Tearstar
A Cyclonian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
AddOn Authors Permission Needed in Bulk

Greetings AddOn Authors and welcome,

I just recently got into addon code, and I have since been able to modify a great deal of my Interface with lots of addons, some addons with small minor code adjustments such as a Chat string I didn't like the output on I changed, nothing to change what the addons does nor have I modified anyones code to remove identifying or notability marks, just cosmetics. I believe my last scan of my addon folder reported 392 addons installed, My project is the UI of UIs. suitable for minimalist just by toggling off the unwanted addons yet fully capable for the graphic enthusiasts. The UI with everything anyone would every need for any class, no matter if your a PvP'er, a Soloist, A Raider, Achievement/Quest/Pet Horder . . . This UI will have everything available just by toggling the addons on the list . . . completely character specific.

Most of the addons I have found here on WoWI and 90% of them are as "author has originally coded" no modification needed to make it work right, no modification to change a frame scale or alpha . . . they were great out of the box with enough features and user config settings and my hats go off to each author . . . *clap* . . . clap* . . .clap*

Now here is where the Authors Permission comes in. To really make my idea work I need a way to show a "not so addon familiar" user which addons are similar and should not be used with a certain other addon running as far as this interface. So What I would like to do is Change all the "Title Colors" in all the addons to "color-code" them. So like Pitbull, Xperl, ag_ , and any other UnitFrame addon those titles would be one color, so the user would know that only one set in this color group should be activated. While Map Mods would be another color group.

So should I post a list of the ones I'm currently using and hope they come here and "sign" the thread saying it's ok to change the color of the addon title for this UI project, or would it be better just to ask each WoWI hosted author to give permission to do so and then me pull from the threads to change the ones who say yes, and probably add in some addons I didn't know about that might replace an addon who's author didn't sign? Or get everybody I can to sign that is an author and then if I see their addon later I already have the permission.

The files that I have modified I will contact their authors directly to specifically explain what was changed in the code and why and make sure I have the permission needed to use said modified code.

Now I know someone is gonna say "What if I don't want this or that addon" or "what if you don't have the one I like" . . . each addon is swappable with another. I'm just creating a UI with as many of them in one interface as I can and let me tell you . . . you wouldn't believe what this thing can do. -edited-My layout and design skills might not be the best, but I have a good collection of older and newer addons that I think all work well together.-/edited-

So in summary:

Do I have your permission?

Magelo Profile
My Myspace
My Youtube Channel

My First Video I made for my kids - please comment and/or rate

Last edited by Tearstar : 06-10-09 at 04:08 AM. Reason: changed the wording of the bracket section