View Single Post
08-05-09, 06:59 PM   #9
ScytheBlade1
aka Sbo

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Vaest View Post
an r followed by numbers (see regex above) should in all cases be a revision and numbers followed by r or beta, etc should be a beta.
Sure, as soon as you can fix all of the authors mentality, done.

"Delta 4" is a stupid way to number/version an addon. To the addon author: Make Delta 4 be the code name, but internally version it something real (think Windows Vista being 6, and Windows 7 being 6.1 internally. No program could ever interpret 7 as newer than "vista", but 6.1 < 7 is easy)
Fun fact: there are numerous applications out there that check the windows major/minor numbers, to ensure that major >= 5 && minor >= 1 to ensure that they are at least running Windows XP, which promptly broke with Vista when the minor went to 0.

So, no, 6.1 < 7 is not as easy as one would think. This honestly happened to quite a few applications when Vista launched. In short, it is never as simple as it seems.

And, fwiw, I kinda like "Delta 4."

Offering the use of major.minor.etc, revisions, and dates is sufficient in my opinion. I do not expect it to work with everything, but the 5-10% (give or take) of authors who want to be cute or don't know how to version something correctly will (should) quickly correct it to make their addons update correctly.
I'm pretty sure the plan is to provide version and date* when the addon was uploaded, which would help quite a bit.

* and if it wasn't before, it is now!
<Iriel> does your 'therapy' involve pitchforks and boiling oil?