View Single Post
07-03-05, 01:05 AM   #9
Beladona
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
useful yes. Feasible maybe not. There is a reason that blizzard has included things like raid-based health and buff info to the internal client rather than using a chat channel to propagate info to other users. Using that method robs the client of a lot of bandwidth, moreso than you realize till you get a lot of people there using it...

I have no hard numbers to show you, but I can tell you that given enough people using this mod, and passing data through a chat channel, you will start to see a relatively significant drop in performance over the longterm. With something like CTRaid at least you had a limit to how many people would be part of this chat network. In your mod this would be only limited by how many people are on the server, and how many of those actually use that mod.

Seriously though, if the method CTraid used for sharing hp/buff info within a raid was considered by blizzard as a bandwidth concern (which prompted them to embed the functionality into the client itself in a more efficient manner) then imagine 100 or more people in a single chat channel propagating data to each other...

Amd tp add further to this issue, is the ever growing problem is storing large amounts of data in the client. The only file you can write to and have it persist is the SavedVariables. If this gets too large, you again start to see game performance issues. Regardless it would be interesting to at least attempt something like this, but I just wanted to make sure you were aware of some of the more obvious issues that you could end up being plagued with...

Last edited by Beladona : 07-03-05 at 01:07 AM.