View Single Post
10-01-09, 09:27 AM   #20
nightcracker
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Lykofos View Post
OK first thing, do not post an entire full-sized screenshot especially if your image host is really slow when it comes to transferring data (as your current one is). Not everyone has the luxury of a large screen to view your screenshot. Either post a thumbnail (most image hosts provide clickable thumbnail forum code that is copy and paste ready) or just post a simple link to your screenshot.

Second, if someone is going "WTF! That is too much memory!" then they should not be downloading UIs in the first place and should either make their own "lightweight" UI or just the stock UI. In many cases, mods that use a larger amount of memory either due mutiple tasks (Forte which does a number of tasks such CDs, timers, etc). Those tasks can be split up into "smaller" mods, however the amount of memory used in total may be the same or more. In addition, your CPU usage may be much higher. Other reasons why mods will use more memory include:
  • data mods: any mod that use a database of some kind. This would include bag mods, many quest helper type of mods and others.
  • mods that totally customize the user interface: the more you customize your UI the more memory is required to store the data.
The two things that really need to be stressed are:
  • CPU usage: Any mod that requires your CPU to work harder will result in lag and other performance issues.
  • increasing memory usage (as opposed to static): This where memory usage can come into play. A mod who memory usage remains static is not going to be an issue to anyone unless for some reason, you have very little RAM that can be addressed by your OS (>512 MB). Some increase in memory usage is to be expected if you use any kind of a Damage Meter type of mod (like Skada, Recount, Recap and others). Likewise mods that store data for later usage/viewing will show an increase in memory usage (mods like Recount, Auctioneer or Close Up). Usually such mods will increase in memory usage fairly slowly unless you are collecting alot of data at once (such as scanning with Auctioneer) However a mod that suddenly starts eating memory unexpectedly can be a cause for concern. Usually a sharp increase in unexpected increasing memory usage can mean that your mod has a memory leakage issue (CowTip using DogTags had this issue).
Sorry, will thumbnail from now Your right anyway, but this UI is not only for people who are download UI's, I want this UI for everyone, and I don't feel like scaring away people that I would love see using my UI. Your target public makes the product (No I'm not selling this UI lol...)

Another question:
Is there some intro section/thread, I'm planning to stay here for a while