View Single Post
09-19-12, 03:50 PM   #148
ajamison
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
yeah I don't plan on any obfuscation, if I decide to stop playing WoW I don't want people to have to work ages just to do anything with it like I had to with carbonite... I still question how they are allowed to obfuscate it when that's against blizzards terms, and they've told me specifically they obfuscate it to keep it out of blizzards hands. It's the same reason we will probably never see a public release that anyone can mod. But everyone's turned a blind eye to it from blizzard down so *shrugs*
It looked to me (just my novice opinion) that they did that less for copy prevention and more for Minification, that is to say that they stripped out all the spaces to reduce the size of the file, when you have a large file the blank spaces between characters and blank lines can add up to a few mb of space.

If this is the case then should you need to do this just save a non-minified version you call source for those who wish to edit it.

Also you might want to take a page from Carbonite as bad as that sounds and use your webpage for announcements/news and use wowinterface as your development platform. This way you could use your own domain you currently have as a informational site listing changes/suggestions and what not and use the resources here to manage and maintain your code.