View Single Post
02-28-11, 05:57 AM   #11
sakurakira
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by adam4813 View Post
Ah, I see. This is why I am getting feedback early on. So I can make changes now rather then further on when its too late. I have chosen Angelscript as my scripting language of choice due to it being native C++ and not C like Lua. I think I may add support for Lua as well side-by-side so Lua scripts can be run as well. Thoughts on this?
I feel like I should further emphasize Seerah's comments regarding Lua. If you're writing this program based mainly around World of Wacraft and you don't have Lua in it, you're just wasting you're time and effort.

Just looking through my addon folder, there are many great addons, complete with an in-game config that do not use XML at all, they are completely done with Lua. The addons that do have XML files have maybe a couple; all the rest are Lua.

There are also addon systems (for lack of a better word), like Ace that use a combination of Lua and XML that addon authors can use. Ace is sort of a collection of code segments for premade widgets dealing with everything from zone information to button templates for action bars. I don't know if you want to try and work that sort of thing in or not.

Also, you're general idea from the various posts here seems like it's more of an addon creator rather than a UI editor. Addons themselves can do many things, not just alter the UI. I'm not sure if that is just a semantics issue or you were only thinking of the overall UI that a player sees and interacts with. For example, there is an addon called Ackis Recipe List whose sole purpose is to show your profession recipes, the ones you have/don't and where to get them (drop/vendor/etc); nothing really to do with the UI.