View Single Post
03-27-10, 10:41 PM   #1
Shinjite
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Thumbs down More Ad Problems With Minion

It would seem that some ads inside the Minion updater are causing some problems. I hypothesized this a bit in a past thread here: http://wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31003

Below are two screenshots of what happened when I opened Minion this evening:

I'm concerned that some ads are trying to run exploits when loaded in Minion. Since my last post in the above thread, I've noticed that recurring ads load when the UAC prompt is triggered. Ads for Progressive Car Insurance, and music videos, for example were always in Minion when I've had the UAC prompt appear. In the above two photos, this is the first time I've had an ad actually OPEN a browser window. The ad was not clicked, therefore user input was not the cause of opening this window in the first screenshot.

The fact that an ad opened a browser displaying more info on the content advertised definitely makes me wonder about the security of using the Minion updater. I'm currently thinking of dumping the Curse updater, add that to the loss of Minion, and it's going to be very annoying. However, I would rather sacrifice the ease of updating addons for the sake of keeping my computer clean.

Is there any way to police the ads being displayed in Minion? If this isn't being done, I'd simply like to suggest doing so.