View Single Post
12-13-07, 06:00 PM   #45
Republic
Paladin

Originally Posted by Rigorous
if one isn't willing to learn about the myriad world of mods (or anything, for that matter) for oneself, then one should not be using them. and if one is indeed unwilling to learn, that does not automatically shift responsibility onto the content providers to protect one from oneself. this has nothing to do with hierarchies or esteem...it has to do with personal responsibility.
To sum up, your logic is "in order to use our computer, you need to become a computer tech"? Are you a Linux user by chance? I have nothing logical to say to someone who thinks like this. Nothing logical is possible There are a number of reasons for providing added information as I've listed. So far, the only reason against it would be it lowers the bar for all mod humanity! Okay, not really but come on here. It's a simple addition that would help. Once again, I'm familiar with all the ways of finding updated mods. A lot of us are. Still though, a lot of us are not. You need to approach this type of service (this site) from the eyes of those who are not in order to fully realize it's potential value to the community. Otherwise, it's nothing more than a small clique of "experts" who have the time/energy/desire to become mod troubleshooters. There are lots of good people who don't have this time/energy/desire, but play the game with those of us who are. Let's use our collective brilliance to help them. Eh?

I think it's ridiculous to spend so much effort in arguing a rather simple point that more information is a good thing. Regarding the tag line mentioned, that's all it's about. Period. Are you honestly that concerned that an extra line of text lowers the bar for anyone involved? Why?

Regarding mod dependencies breaking, call me crazy, but if a mod author can't properly utilize the dependency, is it really the fault of the dependency (especially considering the fact they both worked very well together)? Go load up Fubar and LocationFu and see what I mean. While the issue may not be limited solely to Fubar, it is very much created when Fubar is used with LocationFu. I bet you can't guess the author of both mods. While others may continue updates, contributions to the mods, there's only one Paypal email address listed as the "official author" of the mod(s) listed here. To me, that's enough to hold him responsible enough to at least expect a functioning product. Again, I'm open to the fact I don't fully understand his (author's) process, but I would like these two mods to work together (again).