View Single Post
12-13-07, 10:19 PM   #53
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Republic
I don't really have to read anything into this. Then phrase "lowest common denominator" was already offered up for us here. The intention/feeling behind this statement seems rather clear to me.

I was asking a question. I was not twisting words. Punctuation in this case is important. I asked whether or not that was his logic. At this point, I'm still expecting clarity from the person making the statement. I am grateful you know what he meant and will speak for him, but I still think it contributes to the discussion to have him speak for himself.

People helping themselves is great. To facilitate that process, good tools are really helpful. The more informational these tools become, the easier it is for people to do so.

@Erica - thank you for that solution

@Sajomatic - that's a mirror you are looking into, not these forums I won't take the bait. I still think this is a constructive discussion.
Rushing to finish a post before your next student = bad.

And you are reading into what Rigorous wrote. Lowest Common Denominator has more than one meaning. And in this context, it is referring to knowledge about a subject, not quality of people. You can reach this conclusion by looking at how the word "learn" is bolded. How it mentions resources, websites, and authors, and users learning about a subject.
at the end of the day, imo, it's up to the user take responsibility for themself, use the resources that are obviously available and learn. the authors and the websites shouldn't be held to the lowest common denominator as a baseline.
The authors, veteran users, and websites can only do so much hand-holding. Authors, etc. can't go to people's houses, download and install addons for them, configure them, show them how everything works and what button to press, be at their beck and call 24-7 when they want to know something "NOW" as the current generation likes so much to be able to do...

I am a teacher. You do not teach to the highest students in the class, you do not teach to the lowest students in the class. You teach to the middle. If the better students need more to keep their interest, you give them more assignments, more responsibility, etc. If the poorer students need more help, you spend a little more time with them or have the more advanced students help them. But you do not plan your lessons around the students who still struggle with reading or with math, etc.

Obviously, though, the lower students would still like to learn more, learn faster, pass the class, etc. They may just need a little more help. But, darnit, they're trying. They know where the resources are and they know how to ask a question.

But WoW is not school. And websites and authors do not have to cater - should not have to cater - to those who want everything handed to them on a silver platter. There is a difference between those that want to learn and those that don't. You can only give someone so much.

I give you now one of my favorite quotes as a teacher, and one I have mentioned many times in various forums and in the game itself.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime.
Back to the original subject, I have said I don't know how many times that some versions of mods are out of date on this and other sites, and are better off being downloaded from the wowace svn itself. But there already is the "Compatible with the 2.3 World of Warcraft Patch" note. The download page already tells you when the mod was last updated. If it was 9 months ago, you're just hoping that it works. The game already tells you when mods are Out of Date or Incompatible. And if you need help with something, you can look for the answer, if you don't find it, you can ask people to spend a bit of their free time helping you.

But what you did was use strong, derogatory language, like "Panel Mod Disgust" and these other tidbits:
Granted, we all have lives outside of the game but damn it guys - do something about such sluggish development.
If one person no longer cares about a certain "responsibility" to the community that comes in developing such popular addons, god sakes - get a group of people to help you put things out in a timely manner.
There is no excuse
The latest version, in my opinion, should also be available on this site, Curse, and perhaps even the Virus Haven known as Incgamers.
<still mildly disgusted>
Keep it current. God sakes.
when updates either 1) further convolute a matter, or 2) fail to address a matter
I am surprised and sometimes disgusted
The way I see it, if I were a developer and my mod achieved such a level of success, I would feel a greater responsbility to the community to keep my "stuff" together and keep it updated within my own personal time limitations/constraints.
Your posts got better the longer you vented. You said that you only wanted to discuss something constructively, but you started off all wrong, and then wondered why people took the stance that they did.

Because you've calmed down, started using more neutral language, and have stopped with the self-entitlement rhetoric, this thread has calmed down, and a better discussion has arisen.

I would also like to direct you (and everyone, newbs and veterans alike) to this webpage. While directed more towards hacking circles, it speaks volumes and hopes to educate well.
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh