View Single Post
05-15-16, 06:35 PM   #8
MunkDev
A Scalebane Royal Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by semlar View Post
I imagine there aren't that many people who really understand what you're talking about aside from me, because I wrote it, and yourself, since you needed something fairly specialized to suit your purposes.
Hehe. My threads can be quite technical at times, since my addon and the features it provides is unique in a way. Your code, which this was based on, might still work as it does in the live version, but I was hoping to get away from the scaling and use the unit attributes instead, because I would then be able to set the unit attribute in a preclick snippet and essentially remove the need for mouseover.

Originally Posted by semlar View Post
Frankly it should be easier to do this in legion than it is on live, but I haven't had time to look into it. From what I can tell the unit frame isn't even mouse-enabled so you're still just clicking through it onto the WorldFrame, and there's nothing stopping you from scaling the nameplate and using a mouseover macro like you're doing now.

Just to be clear, it isn't working because you're trying to access the "unit frame", which isn't actually a secure unit frame, in the restricted environment in combat. Just use the nameplate.
That was my thought exactly, now that we actually have unit attributes. I did not realize the unit frames themselves are not actually secure. I only dumped :IsProtected from the plate itself and just assumed the unit frames were also protected, since they seemingly behave and use attributes like any other unit frame.

Originally Posted by Resike View Post
I have used it as a plain function tho. How does your hook looks like, when do you run the attribute itself?

Edit: The weird thing is the unit attribute seems to be like "nameplate1-30", you can get the proper unit attribute with a hack from the nameplate's buff/debuff frame like reaching this value: unitFrame.BuffFrame.unit, however that unit value seems to be broken too almost all the time.
The reason it works when you run it as a plain execution on a secure header is because you can only do that out of combat. When you're out of combat, an insecure frame (as Semlar mentioned) would be returned in the list of frames from frame:GetChildren(), even in a secure environment. I'm running it in a binding, which should of course work regardless of combat state. Here's the code if you're interested:
https://github.com/seblindfors/Conso...Nameplates.lua

The unit ID probably works for targeting if you create clickable unit frames and assign type as unit and unit as the nameplate attribute, which could mean that Semlar's lazyplates concept would work to create a grid of name plate unit frames instead of hacking the whole system. I haven't tried anything like this yet, but it seems like it should work.

Btw; sorry if I came off as rude Syncrow. That's not the way I meant it. I realize this idea is pretty bananas in itself, so it's not far fetched for someone else to assume it was about caching active name plates and manipulating their look and function.

Last edited by MunkDev : 05-15-16 at 06:40 PM.