View Single Post
08-07-10, 05:41 AM   #999
WyriHaximus
An Aku'mai Servant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Talryn View Post
I'd remember two things when it comes to using unsecure networks. First, the legality of it is questionable. Second, more importantly, any data sent over it can be seen by others. Logging into any site without HTTPS would definitely be an issue, IMHO. It wouldn't be common but it could even be a honeypot.
Haha that reminds me when I was at some friend some time some where and they had a open network close by just in range of my laptop. It was unprotected so figured could use it to do some things. (Used SSH as a SOCKS5 proxy for those wondering.) At some point someone asked me if I could see the data transfered over the network so I started wireshark. We could read his msn chats so at some point we knew who he was. A few mins later the conversation was over and he went to a **** site. Before we know it we where watching him browse to the gay section and fire up a stream. Now the guy has a girl for a few years and information like this could potentiality destroy his reputation. We never did something with this information cause it isn't our place to tell her and we might be even interpret this bit of information completely wrong. If this action was legal or not (doubt it since we went very fast very deep into his privacy) it shows the dangers of not securing your connection properly.