View Single Post
08-18-12, 02:12 PM   #83
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Oooh, quicker response today.
Thanks for the letter and sorry for causing you frustration. I'm trying to just get it done quickly for you and the other authors. I have put forward some suggestions that I hope will be in place that will solve this once and for all. I am truly sorry for all the inconvenience.

The CP donation is regardless of whether you have your addon on our site. You don't have to host with us to have us make that donation. Does the wording of Ben's letter imply that this is the case? If so, I need to go take a look and make changes.

Feel free to send anyone my way and I'll do my best to expedite the entire removal process for them as well.

I'll ask to have the Sharedmedia files removed. Please contact me directly if you have any additional concerns.

Once again, my apologies.
Me:
Thank you, John. Out of curiosity, what were your suggestions?

Ben's letter says nothing about removing addons as part of atonement. To be quite frank, if I may, the letter comes across as him trying to cover his own butt instead of acknowledging facts. If WoA received no such permission from authors, then the addons should not have been hosted. Period. "If you don't respond, we'll take that as a yes" is not permission. No where have we been apologized to, and the proper recourse has not been taken (automatic removal of all addons that WoA was not given *explicit* permission to host that did not have licenses to allow for redistribution). As such, his letter comes off just as I said it did. And I'm not the only person who thinks so. We've discussed it in IRC and on forums, as well as here: http://www.tentonhammer.com/playersc...welcome?page=2

Again, the *correct* action from Ben or TTH/WoA would have been to swiftly apologize and swiftly wipe clean the addons it wasn't allowed to host. No ifs, ands or buts, no confirmation of author identity, no waiting periods, and certainly no excuses or poor attempts at justification. Because the "justifications" offered were not grounded in reality or the law.

Ben/TTH/WoA has not been earning author trust in the past few days, but further pushed us away. Perhaps in time, you guys can build your site up the way you should have from the start and maybe we'll come back. Maybe.
/edit: since he offered, his email is [email protected]
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

Last edited by Seerah : 08-18-12 at 02:14 PM.