View Single Post
04-16-09, 08:28 AM   #483
LittleWhiteDove
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
In all honesty, I'd be crying, because of how much I love our sites and our community (yes, I AM a girl and yes I really do love our sites that much, that I'd be in tears over it, and no, I'm not at all ashamed to admit that), and I'd be furious at those who had forced us to close because we couldn't pay our bills that they cost us.

To Thrillseeker - Cairenn and Dolby have been with the interface sites since the very beginning. WoWInterface is just another in the long line of help they have set up for game players such as yourself. They provide a simple place for addon authors to put the things you the player want in order to make your games more fun or easier to play. When the sites first started they were very small and the two or three people working on them did so after there own full day at a paying job was done. Over time the sites grew so popular that they required full time attention and more and more computer space/bandwidth/whatever. Eventually they required paid staff to maintain them. I believe that the paid staff total two and the rest are still volunteers. They put in long days and many sleepless nights to to provide a free service to help the community be a good place for all us gamers. These sites, the computers they require, the internet access needed to provide all of this free for you, the end user, do not come free for the site. Somehow they have to raise funds to pay for that. When their bills increase substantially because of an outside influence they have to do something to slow down or stop the drain on their resources. That is what they did when they blocked Wowmatirx.

You asked what Cairenn would do if the site closed and she told you she would cry and I know that is true. She would also, I am sure, go to one of the half dozen much higher paying jobs she has been offered over the past couple of years. Jobs that she has turned down to stay with the interface sites. Jobs that would mean more stability in her life. Jobs that would allow her to work 8 hour days instead of 18. Jobs that ...........

Oh hell - what is the point of trying to explain any further. If you don't understand by now you never will. (Yes I do know Cairenn personally)

To the rest of those that are upset because Wowmatrix can not access some of the interface addon sites I add the following comments.

As to the updating of addons - I use about 25/30 different addons. I check for updates every couple of weeks not every day as Wowmatrix asks you to do. Why would Wowmatirx as you check all of your addons daily? (That is a rhetorical question and you do not need to answer it because There just isn't any need.) WoWInterface sends me a notice when any of my favorites are updated. The other sites I use don't but I haven't seen any threads like this attacking them because they aren't providing special free service to their site users. On Tuesday the Patch kept the WoW servers down until late in the day. When they came on line I logged in with every single one of my addons was still out of date - I purposely did not download any updates. The game worked fine. One addon error.

What is/was all this fuss about. The possibility that a few addons would not work. Most addon authors had not even had an opportunity to do the updates to their mods until long after this topic had been beaten to death and people like the site admins here had been accused of all types of
evil motives and their plan to destroy the given right of some players to demand everything for free and give nothing in return.

Enough is enough in my mind. If the site admins (because they are too polite and care to much) won't tell you where you should stick all this crap then perhaps it is time that some of the rest of us did. (and that comment, coming from this old lady, is something I never thought I would write for all the world to see).

If you aren't happy with what is/was done on this site then go elsewhere. In my opinion you are not needed here.