Thread: Carbonite 5.04
View Single Post
09-04-12, 09:40 AM   #236
j800r
An Aku'mai Servant
Just wanna preface this with saying I'm not trying to start trouble. I understand the "constructive only" business buy constructive criticism does not mean praise the original makers of Carbonite and the author of this fan update ignorantly. That is in no way constructive. Due to that, I have this to say:

Carbonite WAS great. I could imagine it being even greater back before Bliz implemented half the features (quest tracking etc). Them no longer charging is no excuse. 99.999999(and so on)% of addon authors do not charge for their addons, clearly have day jobs and lives to get on with yet they STILL find the time to keep their addons maintained and updated (for the most part. Some die out but then people move on.)
I appreciate the author of this fan update and the effort he's been putting in. However, what I DON'T appreciate is the Carbonite authors not officially passing the torch, giving the guy full access to all the coding, and letting him become the new official maintainer of Carbonite. I used to love Carbonite myself, however, since the authors dropped support for it (a while back in fact, not just with new patch) and features stopped working I begun looking for alternatives and realised there were plenty. Granted, I have to use seperate add ons to perform some of the tasks Carbonite alone could perform but some features (such as the gathering nodes etc) were so outdated that an external addon would have to be used anyway!

I fully respect those who are still attached to Carbonite and swear by it. For my however, my fan update consists of:

TomTom
WoW-Pro Guides (which i used to use with Carbonite a little)
Bliz Quest Tracking
Gathermate 2
Pawn
Archy
Auctioneer
AtlasLoot Enhanced

All of these separate addons do almost everything Carbonite did and more. Was a time I absolutely adored Carbonite but since official support has been dropped I've found it relatively easy to move on and quite honestly the only thing I really miss at all it the better looking waypoint arrow and the fancy "quest complete" announcement.

If the fan update becomes more than just a fan update (with the guy having full access to the coding) I may be persuaded to give Carbonite another shot but until then I honestly believe it is time to move on and leave this once amazing add-on behind.

Much respect to you Rythal for doing your best. I truly appreciate what you're trying to do for the community. I just don't think it'll be enough for me with the limited resources available to you which is in no way your fault.