View Single Post
02-02-10, 06:41 AM   #3
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
A few years ago (like in the 90s), the statement "Java is crap" was true. Java was slow, buggy and annoying. However in the last 8 to 9 years, things have since changed. Java runs very well even with my ancient hardware and that has been case since the early 2000s. Even with some of the bleeding edge stuff that I test (and break), Java (or more to the point, the applications built using Java) works just fine.

Regarding this:

"Java... I am never going to install that crap on my computer. Had lots of issues with it in the past, starting with viruses and ending with being unable to clean uninstall end user runtime from my computer..."
That is not Java's fault. The initial problem was some crappy application that was built using Java. It's kind of like blaming C for all the crappy programs and malware out there was written in C. Or blaming the English language for the plethora of crappy books and TV programs. Don't blame the tools; instead, growl at the boneheads using the tools.

Regarding Minion. It works very nicely. I have used it under Windows and Linux. The download is smooth, fast, and painless. Using Minion is the same story, it just works. I wish I could say the same about many other applications. Due to Minion's Java roots, it works exactly the same under both Windows XP and Linux (Ubuntu 9.10). This is a good example of a well written Java program and it's not the only one out there.

Last edited by Zyonin : 02-02-10 at 07:32 AM.