View Single Post
08-08-12, 09:11 PM   #29
Unbelievable
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Aimed at no one in particular:

All Rights Reserved is great. It grants authors legal protection and control over their creations. While there is little scope to make money from WoW mods when taken as a whole, the underpinning proprietary routines may well have commercial value elsewhere. Regardless, it's the authors legal right to determine the future of their creations and choose a license that best fits their needs. If that choice were to be denied, many authors would either keep their mods private or release them via a more accommodating hosting service.

As for authors being selfish for choosing to use All Rights Reserved? Really? It's true that the relationship between authors and users is one of give and take: The authors do virtually all of the giving (i.e. investing hundreds of hours into developing and supporting their mods, sharing them for free etc), while the end-users pretty much just take (i.e. download and use). If the authors are selfish, I'm really not seeing it.

The main issue is that some players seem to think that they are somehow entitled to unlimited, unpaid support ad infinitum. They aren't. They also seem to believe that they have some god given right to use a mod forever and that it should always work. They don't and it won't.

When an author does decide to cease development of a mod (either permanently or temporarily), it's time to move on and find an alternative. If an alternative can't be found then it's time to make do without one or learn how to create your own. Instead of berating the author for ceasing development perhaps it would be better to thank them for the many months/years of support in the past.

Last edited by Unbelievable : 08-16-12 at 01:56 AM.