View Single Post
08-13-12, 05:32 AM   #36
sakurakira
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
While I wouldn't mind seeing this information listed on the addon's download page, the reality is that every licensed addon includes a copy of that license inside its folder, right next to its .TOC and other files. It's freely viewable by anyone who downloads that addon.
Where? I downloaded the most recent version of Grid on WoWI and don't see one in there. The Readme for Grid has the same text as the main page description, and I even did a folder search for the word "license" and got nothing, I also searched for WTFPL.

For kicks, I downloaded some addons on the "What's Hot?" list here. Carbonite and DBM both have license files, while Bartender4 and GearScore do not.

I think Unbelievable said it pretty well...
I don't think I said anything that contradicted this statement... And I also tried to specifically phrase my post in such a way as to not get the "go and learn to code yourself" response...

I'm certainly not advocating that everything should be open, as I greatly value the work that addon authors put into their craft, without compensation other than relative fame on sites like these. Also, having 55 versions of whatever addon floating around is/can be a huge nuisance as ignorant users find their way back to the real author and report problems the poor author has no way of knowing about in a broken addon obtained on some random site.
I also don't believe that every single person who uploads an addon or downloads an addon on this site is as aware of licensing issues as you and some of the other authors in this thread. I also suggested that picking a license when you upload could be optional.

Last edited by sakurakira : 08-13-12 at 05:47 AM.