View Single Post
08-13-12, 07:07 PM   #39
sakurakira
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Never, at any time, did I hint, suggest, or otherwise state that addon authors are "obligated" to do anything. I just simply think it would be nice, if WoWI provided the option, for all authors, no matter their education level about licensing, to put something other than the default ARR on their addons, especially if they were previously ignorant about such options existing.

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post

It only matters whether people trying to upload an addon know what's allowed, and WoWI already includes a statement on the upload page about this, and has always been very good about removing uploads that violate someone else's copyright when notified by the copyright holder. If someone ignores the "don't upload other people's work without permission" notice, or doesn't understand what it means, adding an optional "pick a license" field on the upload page probably would not change anything.
But there are authors who don't care about modification or re-release of their code/addons.

By the current system it's up to the author to notify WoWI about any violations?

What happens if a non-author reports an addon violation? Let's say I report that New Addon X is a ripoff of Abandoned Addon Y. Well Maybe the author of Abandoned Addon Y wouldn't even care about it, but we don't know if the default license is ARR and the author cannot be contacted. Would WoWI remove the New Addon X "just to be safe"? If the answer is yes, and the reasoning is because regardless of a single absent author's wishes, this method is better for the community as a whole, I disagree. I think more options are better, for everyone, in the long run.