View Single Post
10-14-14, 12:20 AM   #1
Drayveal
A Kobold Labourer
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Compilations -- Problematic

Ok... So I've been using wowinterface for as long as I can remember... Basically, shortly after Discord Unit Frames went down back in Vanilla I started using wowinterface.com

I've loved wowinterface, and will continue to use it as my main source for addons for ages to come. Yet, I have a single issue with the site, and at first it was more of an annoyance that I could easily overlook. Even now, I am willing to overlook it, but the build up over years of how annoying this one thing has been is starting to finally get to me.

The Compilations... People just tag their compilation as whatever they want, or they tag them as -every- single compilation there is, so that it will get downloaded more. Prime Example of what I mean by this... A few graphical compilations out there are Roth UI, LUI v3, MayronUI, and FauxMazzle. Now those are not the only Graphical Compilations, but they were the easiest ones to remember and identify. So what makes these Graphical Compilations? Well, when I read "Graphical Compilation" I think to myself "Graphics that go beyond what is part of normal addons. As can be seen by the Art that holds the Orbs in Roth UI, or even the Orbs themselves. As can be seen by the custom made panel backgrounds for all of LUI v3. As can be seen for all the custom graphics created for MayronUI and FauxMazzle. All of them have "Custom Graphics" that go above and beyond the detailing that bartender might have so that you can change the shading, or border, of an action button.

That said, I move to my problem... Why are AddOns like "FreeUI" listed as "Graphical Compilations"??? When if you look at FreeUI and/or use it, then you cannot readily identify any real custom graphics are used. You can also tell by simply viewing the screenshots that the UI is a "Minimalistic UI". Now I could understand that if it were a Minimalistic -and- Graphical UI then yes it should be listed in both categories. Yet, you cannot readily identify any custom graphics in the UI. FreeUI is a Minimalistic UI, not a graphical one, and there a TON of these "Mislabelings" going on throughout -ALL- of the Compilations Categories. In fact, the one I'd say that has the least of them is the Suites, but even then that one could be questioned by my personal opinion in believing that a Suite should have it's own customization/installation menus.

Note that I am not saying I dislike any of these compilations, as that would just not be true. They are all fantastic UIs! But when I search for a Graphical Compilation, I don't want to see a Generic//Minimalist Compilation, or vice versa, I want to see a UI like Roth UI not PowerInterface!