View Single Post
11-14-14, 12:26 AM   #17
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by 10leej View Post
Just thought I'd ask. Why would inventorian need to use the ace libraries?
Well, if you're asking that, you might as well ask why any addon uses Ace libraries, or any libraries. After all, libraries don't do anything you can't do yourself, right?

That said, AceConfig, AceConsole and AceGUI are not used at all, and at a total of ~370 KB (over 60% of the addon's total filesize) that's a lot of fat that could be cut. Most likely the author just started with a basic set of libs and forgot to remove the ones he (pretty sure Nev is a dude) didn't actually use.

LibWindow is used to easily manage frame positions independently of screen resolutions, so that's legit.

AceAddon, AceDB, AceEvent, AceHook and AceLocale aren't really doing anything here that couldn't be done just as easily without them, especially since they're all being used at the most basic level (no toggle-able modules, no profiles or DB namespacing, no dynamic hooking and un-hooking, etc.) but none of them are that bloated, so if you're already accustomed to writing addons using Ace3 there's not really any strong argument against using these libraries either... other than AceLocale, which is totally useless.