View Single Post
09-29-08, 06:34 PM   #4
SeiferTim
A Fallenroot Satyr

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by contramundi View Post
hmmm, it would indeed be a cheat if not a single credit is given to the original addon authors, but a compilation is only a way of sharing your favorite bunch of addons with the rest of the WOW community.

i think it will be really, really hard to figure out which compilations exactly have your addon in use. I think the only true way of knowing who actually is using your addon is by doing something like carbonite is doing, paid license, and even that one isn't all to secure since i could easily send the updated and ingame registered version to all of my friends / guildies / etc.

but anyways, those compilations can also been seen as some sort of temporary upload, since game gets updated, and addons even so, and people are bound to look for an updated version and come back to your door when needed.

Most great addons are eventually found by people installing a pre-made compilation, and they are also the ones that will get great mouth-to-mouth advertising from these people.

"hey dude, you should check out x mod, it makes your wow-experience even better"

the same will go exactly for your Addon. I mean if its included in a compilation it rocks

when people distribute it as a standalone addon as if it's there own, that sux

so to make a very long story come together in once sentence (and please don't take it wrong): i can't really figure out your problem with people using your addon in a compilation? but hey, maybe thats just me

I don't have a problem with people including my AddOn in a Compilation - I'm just curious to know who is using it / where they're getting it from. Downloading a Compilation that includes my AddOn doesn't increase my Download Count at all, so I'm just curious to know.