View Single Post
01-15-10, 07:12 PM   #22
frenchie
A Kobold Labourer
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I've also just received a phishing email to an address that I use exclusively for wowinterface. It wasn't sent to a catchall, but to the specific address and it's not something that would be easily guessable. (I can forward the email on request if you need it Dolby).

I've been a member here since May 2008 and my email address has never been public.

I'm not worried that that particular email address has found it's way onto a phishing list - it's easily changed - however as someone who's worked in the computer industry for some 25 years with plenty of server admin experience, I'd say that there had almost certainly been some sort of leak of data from this site, given the other reports already in this thread.

I'd also suggest that it probably happened fairly recently as I can't see someone hacking the site and then sitting on the email addresses for a year or two before trying to use them.

This is not about blame, but if there is a possibility of a leak from here then it might be worth warning the entire membership as the email is one of the better phishing attempts I've seen and could catch out the unwary.

The particular phising site in the email I received was www . wor1dofwercraft . com (spaced out so it's not clickable from here, registered by some bod in China), I have reported the site to the apparent hosters vpls.net