View Single Post
03-23-11, 03:49 PM   #58
Shadowed
Premium Member
Featured
Originally Posted by Xinhuan View Post
That's the thing. The setting up of wowace and wowinterface were huge factors that allowed WoW addon programming in general to flourish, to have a forum of discussion. In particular, I want to mention the WowAceUpdater (WAU), it made addon updating so easy that much more users were willing to try out modding. That and the fact addon hosting sites went up, caused addons to be used widespread.

"A golden age is often ascribed to the years immediately following some technological innovation. It is during this time that writers and artists ply their skills to this new medium."

It wasn't just about "new and groundbreaking addons", it is also about the technology and other factors that made it possible.
I'd have to lean to agreeing with Xinhuan.

Originally Posted by sigg View Post
I think the requests of users have changed. Today People want more Out of the box stuff. I will try to resume my thought:

Integration.
Users are looking for integrated UI and this is the reason of the success of Tukui, nUI and Compilations. Using a base UI, users can add a raid frames, a damage meter, any other addons etc. But Today, People prefered to reduce the number of addons.

Adaptation.
The possibility to switch all the user interface depend of if you are a healer, a tanker or because you change your spec. I know some people have two or three installation of WoW, with differents addons, different configurations.

Customization and Simplicity.
More the list of customization option are big, more you loose in simplicity. These two words are opposite in fact. For example, you can do what you wish with oUF, but you have to learn LUA. Some authors prefer to limit the customization and their addon is easier to use. The goal is to find the right middle between customization and simplicity.

I am not agree with Xinhuan when he say the golden age of addons is over and there is no more innovative stuff. This is more because you are staying in the world of Ace. Ace did never evolute and is still in version 3.

I want to highlight RDX 8, the addon I am responsible. RDX 8 is about to be the new golden age. Just spend 15 minutes to test it and you will be like all these people who PM me or send me a email, explaining their surprise and congratulating the job done. You will understand the concept.

Saying Ace 'still' at version is silly, 3 was a major shift from 2 that's still had some improvements and fixes made. There isn't a need for a 4 because 3 does everything fine and didn't have a lot of the issues that 2 did.

RDX 8 addon you linked doesn't look like it's anything exactly new. Maybe you make some improvements over existing addons, but RDX itself is quite old, and nothing you added into it at a quick glance is a "new golden age"