View Single Post
12-17-13, 12:44 PM   #34
lunarphoenix
A Defias Bandit
Letters from K Scott Piel

I was an avid user of nUI until a couple years ago when he tried something similar to this. He posted a donation minimum on his website and said that if he didnt reach is donation minimum he would no longer provide nUI to the community as he wanted to be able to do it full time and without minimum donations he couldnt. He did ultimately change his mind however, and that was good.

That being said, I fully support his stand on the environment and wish him nothing but the best concerning the land he is trying to save. However, once again, I am being yelled at because something he wanted to happen isnt going to because he counted on a gamer community to contribute enough money to save the day.

I have posted his letters here on this forum concerning this issue because there seems to be some confusion on what was actually said. My interpretation on reading both letters was that if I didn't give money to him or to his charity, OR know someone who had, I could no longer use his addon. Sorry to all those calling from him to be able to charge, but no MMO out there allows you to charge for your time on an addon. It is their intellectual property. I personally thank K Scott Piel and others like him for making the game that much better, but you cannot charge for it. You have never been able to charge for it. You are donating YOUR time, and as I have supported many addons with a donation myself, I welcome you to ask for donations for your time. But that is ALL you can do. Feel the way you will about the system, but if someone chaged a game you had built and charged money for it, you would feel the same way.

As far as the cyber bullying or whatever, I agree with you, kick their asses off the list of being able to get the addon, but for those that have supported you for years, getting that email was hurtful and a kick in the teeth.

Last edited by lunarphoenix : 12-17-13 at 12:59 PM. Reason: cyber bullying comment added