View Single Post
08-14-10, 02:56 AM   #65
Nefrirr
A Cyclonian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Fenixhawk View Post
But more people who get hacked are very quick to believe in rumors that their PC is unsecured. And more people who see hacked accounts are very quick to spread theories that their PC is unsecured.

The most popular belief is a trojan. The article looked at everything from the other side of the coin.
I won't argue against that. And I would never talk down to someone who got hacked and imply he was doing something wrong, when I have no information about his security measures, at all. I just say that trojans, human failure (e.g. using same passwords and e-mail adresses elsewhere) and compromised mail accounts are more probable.

The article has a tenor I just do not like. It will probably influence those people who do not care enough about security anyway in a very bad way. In my experience, people will not take such articles with the grain of salt that is needed to get the big picture.

Funny you mentioned that.. a Blizzard employee stated that the poster was a conspiracy nut because he was talking about some fabled "Fraud Manager" position.
I should clarify: I like satirical exageration and use it on a regular basis to get my point accross. I'm not dismissing everyone who has a different point of view or a different opinion on the issue as a conspiracy theorist. But I still argue that the article that was quoted here lacks reliability.

The thing is.. it was real. There's proof. Lots of it. Bluspacecow even knows that they have these positions in corporations.
What is real? If you think now that there actually WAS a security breach at Blizzard that supports my point. The only thing the article did at all was prove that the possibility exists and interprete (more or less loosely related) facts in a way that suggests that it is not only possible but really happened - without actually proving it.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't realize there were two subsequent posts by you, Fenixhawk. Thought it were different authors. Judging from your first post, this is probably not what you think. At least I hope so. ;-)

Last edited by Nefrirr : 08-14-10 at 04:20 AM.