View Single Post
10-28-10, 01:09 PM   #72
Led ++
A Frostmaul Preserver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Hey, if it kept people from stealing from each other, I'm cool.

Like I said, religion is a form of crowd control. Good or bad. Unfortunately democracy hadn't been around at the time, so the "government" had to use other means of subduing the masses, like oppression. Good or bad, it worked didn't it?
It didn't keep people from stealing. It didn't keep people from murdering. Religion tries to scare you, for some people it might work, but in general it doesn't.

So no, it didn't work. And even if it did, that doesn't justify it just because "it worked".

Learn to spot the difference between what religion actually tells you and what things other people do "in the name of religion".
Do you have any idea what religion actually tells you. I don't know much about any holy book, but most of them really aren't about peace for everyone. It's about peace for the believers, **** the rest. Imo it's easy to say that god is actually perfect and that he has a perfect plan, yet the ones following him abuse it. And that for thousands of years.

Uh, no. The fact that we're both from the same state does not mean we're a community. The fact that I walk past people on the street does not make them part of my community. The state doesn't tell me to go out and make friends. To be nice to people beyond what their human rights require. These things I had to learn on my own, from different persons and entities, yes, one of them being religion.
No we're not a community in a personal way. However we live by the same rules because of our government. We pay taxes to the same government. We're in the same education system. Our economy is the same etc. Every individual is part of the state, thus from the same community. Ofcourse everyone has different PERSONAL communities to go along with it.

There's a difference between moral as basic human rights (life, private property, etc) and moral as stuff that influence your everyday decisions.
And what are the differences then? Our human rights came out of our morale. Just like most things we do.

Intelligence makes morality, but what about non-intelligent people that can't go to school. Like, for example in underdeveloped countries? Who's gonna teach them and their parents what's moral and not?
Will it be religion? Education doesn't need to be based around religion. And they're not non-intelligent, they're less-intelligent due to circumstances.
I agree we should teach them morals and values, but that has nothing to do with religion.

Religions adapt yes, tho not much. The state however can soften some parts of the religion tho. But the religion at core doesn't change. I wonder why with so many for example, medical technology, the church never agrees.

Which brings me back to my first post and that thing I posted about religion filling a void in society that is not filled by other means such as education, the state, etc.
Again, which void are you speaking off?

Of course you can. I can choose the Buddhist moral tomorrow if I wanted to. Who's gonna stop me?
And why would you change religion, or why would you stop eating meat or why would by a hybrid vehicle? because you gained knowledge and noticed that the way you were living doesn't follow your morale. Thus you change what you do. Or you try to sooth yourself trying to fool your morale with excuses. Thigns constantly happen which change the way you think and act.

You seem to forget that not everyone on the planet lives in a democratic society, has access to medical and social care and to higher education. Yes, in some parts of the planet, religion is the ONLY thing that keeps people relatively organized in a society.
Yes and instead of trying to give them morality with religion for example we could perhaps bring them serious education, work, homes, medicines, ..

They need help, not religion. Religion might satisfy them, but in the long term it won't help.

I didn't say it gave MY life a meaning, or yours. It gave life a meaning for SOME people.
No you said religion gave life a meaning. That's a big difference with giving someones life meaning.

Also, make no mistake, I'm talking about modern day religion here. The one that doesn't kill you if you didn't obey. You know, as a form of crowd control.
The religion is the same, the people using it are more modern.

Now, science has told me HOW the universe was created, how life appeared on earth, how the laws of physics function, etc. What it never taught me and never will is WHY.
Would reply to this too but I just agree with a few posts above. Get over the thought that life (in our universe) has a meaning, or that it should have a meaning. Nor the thought that we have to know everything that's going around. We just can't, and that's fine.

I'm personally pretty religious, but I'm not a big fan of institutionalized religions
This is pretty much what I think too. I really don't care if people are religious. But the institution behind is what I dislike.