View Single Post
10-31-10, 04:51 AM   #77
haylie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
- snip -
You know, I'm quite done with trying to make you see beyond your personal beliefs in religion (or should I say, Christianity). You just don't WANT to believe that for some people religion IS more important than anything in life, even in modern societies. Yes, I do agree that with time religion will be less and less a part of people's lives as more people have access to school, health care, higher education, etc. But until then, religion is very deeply rooted into society, and taking it away forcibly is just all kinds of wrong (would YOU live in a society that bans all forms of religion? Isn't that really the opposite of democracy?)

So no, I don't believe in today's society you can just ban all religion and be done with. Maybe you could, if people like you Led would be the only ones existing. But that's not the case. Even if you did manage to ban it, religious people would just create their own society.

I do think that one day religion as we know it would no longer be part of our lives. But I also believe some people would still feel the need for religion in their lives in one form or another and will simply invent new religions or evolve existing ones to coincide with modern ideas and philosophies (truth is, Christianity today is pretty out of date). The way I see it, religion is here to stay.

Originally Posted by Danin View Post
- snip -
So, we're here because we're here? Just a series of random coincidences that created us? I'm sorry, but I just can't be satisfied with that answer. Also, in your entire tirade I have failed to see any kind of actual scientific proof, other than likely/unlikely, which makes it only an opinion/belief. You also think it would be too complicated to have a supreme being around, but how is that more complicated than multiple universes/realities? You're just trying to pass on your beliefs as facts.

Exactly what exempts beliefs and opinions from requiring evidence? What makes them so special that they require no basis in reality?
Belief =/= knowledge. While knowledge must be justified with proof to be true, belief doesn't. If you have enough evidence to prove a belief is true, it becomes knowledge. A belief is just that, a belief. You can try to prove it if you want, or you can leave it at the belief state. You can believe whatever crazy stuff you want, we live in a free society and no one's stopping you. It's when you try to pass on your belief as knowledge that you need to provide proof.

I never tried to pass on my belief as knowledge. It's what I personally believe, and I haven't seen any evidence to the contrary aside from "it's highly unlikely", which does not make it impossible. I never said what I believe is the universal truth. If you're happy in believing we're just a string of coincidences, more power to you. But don't try to impose your beliefs on me.