View Single Post
06-10-09, 01:08 PM   #27
Tearstar
A Cyclonian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Grimsin View Post
Yea but on the flip side of that coin.... 100's of authors owe their popularity to a compilation. For that mater many of them would never be known about if it wasn't for the more popular compilation they came with.
I agree, maybe not 100% but a good fair amount, which is how I found alot of the addon I use, I looked around other compilations saw what a majority were using, looked for those rare ones I would see in a credit list that I wasn't familiar with and check out it's page before I would download it.

The mods I'm asking about in bulk are the ones that I have not made any changes to at all. If I have 380 mods and I've changed 10 of them in the code because they didn't have a configure interface and their bars went horizontal and I wanted to add in verticle, those mods I will contact directly.

My concern for Colorizing the groups would be on a "First Install" only . . . just so when you see an addon in the list who's name is HumHumDinger and you've never heard of it, have no clue what it does, but you see that it's title is green, you also see an addon by the name DingDongBell which you are familiar with and you know that it is an auto dinger! It's title is also green . . . so according to the compilation description . . . green can be assumed to be auto dingers and if you like DingDongBell then you would uncheck HumHumDinger . . . after the first instal, hopefully you'll be a little more familiar with what group each addon is in, and you'll have a working UI with all the settings for each mod intact, if you want to change settings you can for the mods that have a config. Make your updates and those that are not colored are now your updated addons. If it stays the same color for long periods of time, then you might check the addons page to see if it's a dead project or just not being updated due to good functionality.

This idea would also introduce alot of new people to some new addons, if they see they work and how they look and how well they integrate, could create some new fans.

Another idea for the colorizing the title is some addons are "Class Specific" and if a user plays a Hunter, I want them to see which addons are specific for a priest, no sense having an addon running you don't need for that character.

So the colorization would be a "suggested" configuration and I would have to do it in the .toc because they load before anything else that I would be able to make to colorize them.

If I've made any changes to your addon, I will contact you directly with specific explanations and descriptons and screenshot of exactlly what has been changed and ask permission to release the compilation with said changes, if permission is denied with changes, I will revert my changes if that will grant the permission, but I'm looking for ideal co-operative situation here.

For instance. I added a button to one addon because it worked hand in hand with another, but there was no button to toggle the second addon, so I put a button in the first addon to "facilitate" ease of use for the common user. nothing big, just a button that onClick called an onshow function of another addon, but those addons I will contact directly. This post is about the coloring of the title line.

Then again another addon I use has a LOT of chat spam upon load. That addon I took out all the onload chat spam, Or I might have just added a texture that wasn't in the code by default and no response to pm about adding it in but once again, I will contact those authors directly

I can't believe that such a big issue is being made out of asking permission to take a large group of addons that would have a line in the .toc like this

Code:
## Title: Mini-Targ
and make it something like this

Code:
## Title: Mini-Targ |cffcc00cc HUD|r
or

Code:
## Title: cffcc00cc Mini-Targ | cffccff00 Priest
That is all I'm asking to do in this post. I'm not asking permission to approve any changes other than that.

and with WoWI policy on compilations each addon will be given credit on the compilation page, with links to each addon's page.

If you don't want to post permission you could always pm me permission.

Originally Posted by Hirsute View Post
That said, if you *do* happen to be planning to distribute any of my addons as part of your compilation, consider this notice of declining permission for you to do so, modified or not.
I can accept your choice and honor it, thank you for declining permission openly. I would like to handle it openly that way there is public record that I had permission to do so but as I said, I can honor and accept your opt-out. But your profile doesn't show you as being an author so I'm sure you have nothing to worry about unless it's on another site like Curse, but either way noted that you opt-out.

I also want to respond to a comment made about Authors and bug reports on UI compilations

I'm not sure how other compilation designers do support on their compilations but I am the type, if it's a problem with my UI, I should support it, if it's a bad addon I will forward the comment and bug report. No need to bother the author of ThisAddon if it's something like the user toggled on ThatAddon at the same time.

Magelo Profile
My Myspace
My Youtube Channel

My First Video I made for my kids - please comment and/or rate

Last edited by Tearstar : 06-10-09 at 01:46 PM. Reason: added Hirsute's quote