View Single Post
12-15-09, 10:16 PM   #3
smedeley
An Aku'mai Servant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Yep, I do not think this is a Carbonite problem. This has to do with Vista's and 7's permission settings. Ever since I upgraded to Vista from XP, I have ALWAYS installed my programs and games into my own custom program folders to bypass the protocols in place for the Program Files folder. I also have disabled the outright annoying "Are you sure" type messages that seem to pop up with everything you do from the User Account Control Settings, in Control Panel/Users.

So for example, I install all my games into: "C:/Smeds Games/" and all my non-gaming programs into "C:/Smeds Programs/" never using "C:/Program Files/"

You need to go into your shortcuts and make them run the program as an Administrator, as well it helps to run installation programs as an administrator also.

As for installing programs On Your Desktop - ACK! That is not a good thing to do, your desktop loads into memory/page files/caches, it's meant only for Shortcuts and Temporary install executables. The more crap you have ON Your Dekstop, the more performance issues you will run into, which won't be immediately apparent on systems with a lot of RAM, Video and Processor Power, but as time goes on you'll most likely start experiencing low frame rates, increased system start up and shut down time and even eventually system crashes. Maybe the desktop works differently in 7, I do not know for sure. All I know is that 7 is NOT a new OS, it is basically an Expansion Pack (in gamer terms) to Vista. Microsoft originally had 7 planned as a update for Vista but felt that they now needed to get away from the "Vista" name because of bad reviews, so just repackaged it and renamed it. Windows 7 is nothing more than a glorified new updated version of Vista.

Last edited by smedeley : 12-15-09 at 10:24 PM.