View Single Post
12-16-09, 12:14 AM   #6
aceman67
A Theradrim Guardian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
This most likely has nothing to do with Carbonite, but with where WoW is installed, IE a location that is protected like the Program Files and user Profile Folders, and the OS not allowing WoW to save any data to the WTF folder.

I have all my games installed to C:\Users\Public\Games and I use carbonite, a very heavily customized UI, and Windows 7, and I have no issues with any of it.

Vista and Windows 7 have different folder security permissions then previous versions of windows, in fact, if you try to install WoW using the Client Downloader from Blizz's website (I had too after a fresh install of Vista before 7 came out, Dad stepped on my Vanilla WoW box while helping me move a bookcase, and broke discs 2 and 3), it won't even let you install it to C:\Program Files, since the OS won't let the game make changes to any files in the WTF folder which is needed for the game to save any settings, even if you've given your account full access to the system (not recommended, but useful if you're a power user like myself).

My suggestion is to back up your Interface and WTF folders, and Re-Install WoW fresh to C:\Users\Public\Games and you won't have any problems. Messing with folder permissions normal users don't have access too, nor have the knowledge of what to do with those permissions (IE, if you don't know how to get permission to a specific folder, chances are its best to not muck with things you don't know), as it can lead to issues up to and including Borking your windows install beyond recovery (I speak from experience here, and its taught me well)

Last edited by aceman67 : 12-16-09 at 12:21 AM.