Thread: Beginner
View Single Post
03-29-18, 01:35 PM   #6
Rainrider
A Firelord
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The idea is to follow the commit order and recreate the changes locally for yourself.

For example the first commit shows that a file named oUF_Layout.toc was created and some content added to it. You place this file in a folder named oUF_Layout, and this folder itself resides in your WoW addons folder (World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns). This is the same for every addon and is required for it to be loaded by WoW.

Every commit in Git holds a diff of the current state (the one introduced by the commit) of the repository compared to the previous one. So viewing a commit on Github shows you exactly what was added (green) and removed (red) and where. There is also a short commit message that explains the reason for it. This however means that you should follow the commits in order, if you want to learn and are a beginner.

From the fifth commit onward you will start to see the layout in-game (or rather parts of it). Feel free to change the code and reload the interface to view your changes. Breaking it is part of learning how it works.

So i have to work only in settings.lua?
No. All of it is required. Every piece of code is there for a reason.

How do i change the color of a bar?
Just try to recreate the commits one by one until you reach the one with the message "Add some custom colors". If you can't answer your question yourself by then, ask here again.

The bar are black, and i want to get then from green 100% of HP to red 0% of hp.
Depends on which bars you are referring to. For the health and power bars, oUF has the .colorSmooth option. oUF_Layout uses this for the health bars of the player and target frames.

I just do not understand how the framework makes everything easier for me?
Imagine you want to order some food in a restaurant. You only have to talk to the waiter. You don't have to know how s/he processes your order, how the their payment system works or how and by whom the food is prepared. And further you don't have to adapt if anything in this chain changes - the one who has to adapt is the waiter. A framework is a lot like that.