View Single Post
07-03-10, 06:04 PM   #19
zoktar
A Cliff Giant
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
recently, like 3-4 weeks ago. there was a nasty java based exploit that allowed arbitrary files to execute.
ei, you could insert a keylogger via it, most people have java installed for web browsing. or it could of been any other microsoft applications that are riddled with arbtirary file execute vulnrability, including internet explorer, windows media player, msn, outlook, and service features such as remote desktop, and some other crap services that most ppl dont even use but are enabled by default to run in windows installations, i have no clue why really. im not 100% bout how the java exploit worked but im guessing since it starts up as soon as u visit a page with java it stays on even after you close your webbrowser, i think it was possible to connect to it at that point and run stuff remoteley "execute arbitrary files" but im not sure. so basicly all they need to know is your ip address and that your java has "loaded" to implement the exploit. same type of exploit existed/exists for windows media player. if i where u id look for a guide to disabled all unneeded services, if ur using java on webpages, kill it when ur done, (tho it has been fixed with update now, but it doesnt nessesarly update automaticly, i atleast had to update it manually). i dont reccomend using windows media player, outlook or internet explorer, id reccomend using windows media player classic, has no server based functions far as i know. or the video lan player, wich plays everything out of the box really. basicly beware of any applications/services that have server type functions. for these type of exploits atleast.

there are sites that keep an update on "all" new incomming exploits, could be worth finding a good one (dont have one atm), and keep an eye out for exploits wich allow arbitrary code to be executed.

owh i forgot, flash also had this type of exploit recentlyish, so update that aswell.
also i remember some java related crap was loaded even without it being "loaded".
hope that helps.
sry for the wall of text

Last edited by zoktar : 07-03-10 at 06:25 PM. Reason: corrected a thingy