View Single Post
12-20-10, 01:17 PM   #72
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
a) not exactly true, you had to be on the community.php for 1 target state. Now they are global and will alert you of new favorites no matter what page your on. Before if you were on an AddOn page and there was an updated favorite you'd never know. You'd have to back and refresh the community.php. So this saves a ton of time!

b) true but you get other global info because of it like updated fav info.

c) again that info is now global instead of a link only on one page.

So in my opinion its much more efficient since your not required to camp one page. You can get anywhere from anywhere. Technically its still 1 state for all as the menu's dont require a click to dropdown.

I agree with the thumbnails in that its nice to see them all and I'm still trying to come up with a better solution than just making a menu on the right side 400 miles long. But you would have had more clicks if you viewed all the pictures on the old layout as you would click on the picture, then click to go back, click on the next picture, then click to go back, etc.

We are working on the great feedback every one has posted and have already pushed some changes live.
Thanks for your feedback.

Originally Posted by VincentSDSH View Post
I wanted to use things a while before I commented so I have, and here is my comment: I don't give a damn about packaging or pretty if it interrupts functional. "Any design that makes obtaining specific information harder to find, or take more steps, is a poor design" keeps echoing in my head every time I use this.

a) I use to know "hey, I have x updated favorites!" and I still do, however I now have two target-states to see them instead of one. (target name to get drop down, go to favorites vs click-the-damn-link)

b) Same private messages

c) Same for checking comments on the mods I host here.

Two target-states is a far less efficient design and makes navigation less user friendly.

Suggestion: In a CSS & java driven world, an info optional box like the old one with an addition for an author's addons could be added as an optional site component and still preserve the look-and-feel for everyone who doesn't enable it.

Addon Display....

Displaying only 1 picture then having to slide-show through the rest is...how can I put this politely: nucking futs. Being able to see several example thumbnails is more useful information easily obtained. I don't mind the slide-show if you want to use it to see larger versions or hold more than 4 pictures but visual information is needed. To see 4 pictures on 5 mods before, I needed 9 clicks (5 to see the mod, 4 'back') and now I need those 9 plus click-open, click slide, click slide, click slide, click close for each, total 34 clicks. Mouse manufactures will love ya but this one isn't making me a happy user.

Since a number of my other issues have already been mentioned in the posts I skimmed so I'll omit them.

(I know it looks pretty to many but function >>> form every day of the week. I left Curse's site behind because they kept making things more annoying to do, like manually installing a mod taking more and more clicks to do, etc. This feels much like the same logic in design. A site's mechanics may be a slight annoyance but the thinking that goes into the design is pervasive across all points not just of the user-experience but the way the site deals with the users up front and behind closed doors.)

Last edited by Dolby : 12-20-10 at 01:42 PM.