View Single Post
09-02-09, 02:37 AM   #8
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Nicolin View Post
nice tutorial altho a long read for me (attention span rather low)

how do you find out if your allowed to put the mods you use in to a combilation i know some of it migth be wisit the addon downloads on here and other sites but is there a specific thing to look for or can you find it in the readme file on the mod itself ?

am new to making ui's and am playing alot with it lately and have decided id like to maybe share some of it at some point when i feel confident its "perfect" also art and so on how do you know if a picture you edited to suit your ui set is copyrigthed or not an example of one of my latest ideas

<< Screenshot removed >>

a background picture i edited to use as a bottom frame in game "real picture"
and are screen shoots allowed to be edited for this aswell or is it copyrigthed by blizzard ?

actually if someone is interested in mentoring a newbie to ui designing i could use the info and tutoring so i dont make mistakes

sorry if im asking silly questions but i want to do things rigth and sorry for bad english/gramma

Cheers Nico
OK, the first place to look for any license or restrictions is in your AddOn's folder. Look for a readme file of some kind. Otherwise look on the AddOn's page (on whatever you site you originally downloaded the mod from. If in doubt, contact the author via email or instant message.

Regarding your background image:

If the image is sourced from a Blizzard property: I am not a lawyer nor am I associated with Blizzard, however I think Blizzard does consider their artwork to be fair game for in-game usage in an AddOn, provided you follow their UI guidelines (link to in my guide).

If the image is derived from non-Blizzard artwork or does not depict Blizzard properties (such as characters, logos, etc), Blizzard assumes NO copyright over that artwork, the original copyright holder still retains the copyright even if it used in a WoW AddOn. So if the background in your screenshot is yours (aka you are the "creator" or artist), then you hold the copyright even if you use it in a compilation.

If you did not create the image AND the image is not derived from a Blizzard owned IP, then you need to obtain the original copyright holder's permission to distribute the image (even if you edited the image) UNLESS the image was released with a Creative Commons or other type of "copy-left" license. In which case most copy-left licenses often do you give you explicit permission to redistribute, however read the license terms carefully to see what restrictions may be in place.