View Single Post
06-29-09, 10:26 AM   #2
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
They are right in suggesting a change to the ToC in some cases.

For example, as you have said most of your addons work fine on the PTR. These it seems would only need the ToC version changed so that you do not need to tick the Load Outdated Addons box.

For those that do not work however, as such with fubar, you would first have to locate the cause of the problem. Having an addon such as Bugsack will help you identify the cause of the problem down to each line of the lua/xml file causing the problem.

The main reason addons break with a big patch like this is due to changes that Blizzard has made to an element of the game that the addon in question is trying to access.

For example:

If fubar say had a line as follows (imaginary code follows):

FubarFrame:SetTop(UIParent:GetTop())

to align its bars to the top of the game window and Blizzard changed UIParent to say UIFrame then it would simply be the case of making that change. But first you would have to locate why UIParent doesn't exist anymore and what its new replacement is.

This is where the PTR Diff files that are floating around comes into play. They will highlight any changes made and what they are. In most cases you will recognise the new name easily by its usage in the different coding shown.

This is how I handle my addons and may not be the ideal way of handling such scenarios but I am sure others will have any other suggestions.

Also if you haven't played with lua or xml before then you might want to look at wowwiki's page on User Interface changes to help you take those first steps.