View Single Post
08-05-09, 08:54 PM   #11
Jzar
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Woo, did I just run into my druid buddy out of the game?

I have never used WoWMatrix, and haven't actually even bothered with Minion. I've heard of lots of issues with it, and am perfectly happy manually downloading all my addons. It gives me a chance to get familiar with each one; e.g., today my brother the Shaman found out he couldn't reorder buttons in the new TotemTimers. However, I was able to tell him quite quickly that instead of having that configurable in a menu, you now just Shift+Drag the buttons to swap them.

Now, as an addon author, I have to admit that being forced into any particular version numbering system is a very unattractive. I don't recall if it was Curse or WoWInterface, but one of my early addons I published, I wanted to call 0.1. I thought this would fairly clearly mark it as early beta. Experimental, more like it. However, the website required at least five characters in the version tag, so I had to go to v0.10. Arbitrary, and annoying. Unfortunately, I don't believe that implementing any strategy that tries to require authors to conform to a standard is going to be successful. Particularly if Curse et al. decide to do the same, with a different standard. Then all of a sudden, we have to remember which convention goes with which website, and upload different versions based on where we're uploading.

I'd suggest automatically updating addons based on their upload date compared to the "last modifed" field of the Windows addon folder, but that could be incorrect for any number of a million weird reasons. It's just not a simple problem, and I say props to Shirik for wrangling with it. Good luck, and hopefully Minion will get to a point where I might start actually using it.